Breeder's Code of Ethics
The Breeders Code of Ethics:
For any animal I have brought into this world I believe it is my responsibility as a breeder to:
- Actively check the references and backgrounds of all people before I place an animal under their stewardship.
- Place animals in homes only with an enforceable written contract.
- Ensure that the animal's well being is attended to for it's entire life.
- Insist that I have first right of refusal for any animal that has to be placed or sold by its original stewards.
- Make reasonable efforts to keep in touch on a regular basis with the stewards of animals I have placed or sold.
- Take every available opportunity to "educate" novices with well-researched and accurate information and try NOT to impress personal biases and opinions on them.
- Insist that any animal used for breeding be both conformationally correct AND have a stable and loving disposition regardless of it's pedigree.
- Place the interests of the animal first over the desire for self-acknowledgement, personal agendas, and/or monetary gain
image of Oleander HF © Shorthorse Studios. Used with permission